We are delighted to welcome Chris Lee from The Bildeston Crown to this year’s Game Fair Cookery Theatre.
This month Chris shares his delicious recipe for Rabbit & Duck Liver Wellington, Tarragon Cream.
x 8 loins of rabbit (each approximately 8cm in length)
x 4 thin slices of duck’s liver
x 8 large leaves of spinach, blanched and refreshed in boiling water
x 4 slices of Parma ham
Block of ready-made puff pastry enough for four 10cm x 10cm sheets
x 2 onions sliced
200ml white wine
½ bunch of tarragon
300ml double cream
Knob of butter
– Season rabbit loins and liver
– Pull a sheet of cling film over a chopping board. Place a slice of Parma ham on the cling film with two spinach leaves on the ham. Lay a loin of rabbit on the spinach/ham; then a slice of liver and finally a second loin so that liver is sandwiched between the two cuts of rabbit. Roll up with the cling film and tie the ends to create a tight sausage. Refrigerate for 12 hours.
– When ready to cook, roll out the puff pastry as thin as possible into x4 thin sheets measuring approximately 10cm x 10cm.
– Wrap the rabbit sandwich sausages in the puff pastry. Brush with an egg wash.
– Bake at 220˚C for 15 minutes; leave to rest for 10 minutes.
To make the sauce:
-Sauté the onions and the stalks of the tarragon in the butter until the onions ate a light golden in colour.
– Add the wine and simmer to reduce.
– Infuse the tarragon leaves in the cream and add to the sauce. Simmer for about 10 minutes so that it is of a thick consistency.
Serve the Wellington with the sauce. We suggest baby vegetables and pomme pree as ideal accompaniments. Enjoy!